Travel virtually around the world, grow your Instagram page, and take the chance to win some extra cash – every single week!
Map Jumper is a unique travel game which exclusively takes place on Instagram. Once you become a Map Jumper, it will be all about “Kilometers”, virtual credits which you can earn by completing challenges and invest to virtually travel around the world. Those Map Jumpers who earn the most Kilometers in one week will be in the top 10 and win these prizes. Here is how you can join our thriving community of Map Jumpers:
- Follow Map Jumper on Instagram
- Choose one of our ten starting destinations (Argentina, Australia, Canada, China, Egypt, India, Malaysia, Republic of Ireland, Russia, South Africa). This is where you will start your virtual trip around the world as a Map Jumper of Level 1 and you can use the Kilometers you earn to travel to other countries. The more countries you visit, the higher your level will become, and every new country and every new level come with unique short stories, fascinating facts, new challenges, and attractive rewards.
- Inform Map Jumper in the private chat on Instagram about the starting destination you chose and give us your email address which we will need to match your quiz results from our Google Forms Travel Quizzes with your Instagram profile (it won’t be used for any other purpose).
Jump around the World!
Pack your bags, come on board, fasten your seatbelts, and set out for a virtual trip around the world with Map Jumper, Instagram’s first and only travel game! Choose one of our ten starting destinations simply by texting Map Jumper your desired destination on Instagram, and before you know it you will be a member of our thriving community of Map Jumpers with people who share the same passion as you and me – traveling!
Once you tell us where you would like to start your virtual adventure, you will be right in the middle of our unique story: a Map Jumper of level 1 sallying forth to visit all official countries in the world on behalf of Giving Getaway, seeking to learn more about the world, grow as a traveler, and share insights with the community. By completing our challenges, you will earn credits which will be called and used as kilometers. The more challenges you complete, the more kilometers you will get, and once your balance shows enough kilometers to cover your next trip, you simply pick your next destination and hit the (imaginary) road- and the more countries you visit, the higher your level will become!
Every new country and every new level come with unique short stories, fascinating facts, new challenges, and attractive rewards. Let us take a closer look on how this game works, what kind of challenges you can complete, and which rewards you can expect in return.
Gameplay and Challenges
While instructions, challenges and important links can be found on this site, the whole game will take place on Instagram, means, you will receive personalized story elements and a list of the closest ten destinations as well as updates of your travel statistics and challenges in the private chat with Map Jumper. That’s also where you will notify us about the challenges you complete.
Map Jumper challenges are diverse and while they all must be submitted and confirmed on Instagram, the action scope is much bigger. Level-ups and new countries often come along with our Travel Challenges, Culture Challenges, Photography Challenges or Charity Challenges and all of them require publishing at least one picture with the respective templates and tagging both Map Jumper and Giving Getaway. But don’t worry, once you receive a Country Story or Map Jumper story that introduces one of these challenges, we will provide you with all the important details.
All other challenges are listed below and can be completed any time and as often as you like. These challenges and its requirements are:
- Recommend one of our paid Customized Information Packages successfully:
- Holidaymaker: 250 km
- Globetrotter: 400 km
- Vagabond: 400 km
- Nomad: 600 km
- Complete our Information Collection Questionnaire about one place of your choice (250 km)
- Recommend our Information Collection Questionnaire successfully (50 km)
- Recommend Map Jumper successfully (50 km)
- Submit five Hidden Gems (places off the beaten path) with our Hidden Gems Collector (100 km)
- Follow Giving Getaway on social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) (50 km each)
- Follow all our weekly Travel Attendants (100 km)
- Subscribe to our newsletter (100 km)
- Write a story (around 3000 words) for our next eBook (800 km)
- Publish one of Giving Getaway’s blog posts on your website a with backlink) (300 km)
- Make an Instagram story to promote Map Jumper. Write someting in your own words or use the following text: “Travel virtually around the world with Map Jumper and take the chance to win 30€ and Instagram promotions for your travel page or business – every single week!” (30 km)
You got tagged by Map Jumper or Giving Getaway? Share the story and earn 20 km!
- Mention and tag us for one month in your social media bio (“Map Jumper with Giving Getaway”) (250 km)
- Make a donation which we will use for our next charity project (10 km per 1€)
- Create an Instagram guide with the top 10 sights/places in a country or city of your choice for us (150 km)
- Write a blog post (1500 to 2500 words) for Giving Getaway’s website (500 km)
Simply notify us on Instagram about a completed challenge, for example by saying “I just completed the Information Collection Questionnaire about place xy”. Afterwards, we will review and check if you met all the requirements, which will usually take no longer than a few hours. In case you did meet all the requirements, you will be credited with the respective amount of kilometers.
How to (virtually) travel to other countries?
First, you will have ten countries to choose from where to start your journey. These destinations are:
- Argentina (Buenos Aires)
- Australia (Canberra)
- Canada (Ottawa)
- China (Beijing)
- Egypt (Kairo)
- India (New Delhi)
- Ireland (Dublin)
- Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
- Russia (Moscow)
- South Africa (Pretoria)
After you informed us about your desired starting destination by texting us on Instagram, you will receive story elements, country facts and as mentioned above, a list with the closest ten destinations.
Important to note: with Map Jumper, you will always travel from capital to capital. That’s why this list will show ten country names, their capitals, and the distance from your current location to those capitals. For example: You decide to start your trip in Canada and you would like to travel to the United States, then the distance will be the beeline (!) between Ottawa and Washington, D.C., which in this case will be 733 km. Also note that there are several websites who state different distances. In case you would like to double-check, this is the website we used to calculate all the distances.
Also note, that some countries have more than one capital and/or not an officially declared capital. In these cases, we picked one of the capitals or administrative cities and you will always be informed about the capital once you reach a new country. If you would like to get an overview of all countries with all distances of the closest 15 destinations, you can always check this Map.
Once you chose your next destination and your kilometer balance shows sufficient kilometers, simply notify Map Jumper on Instagram in the private chat, for example by texting “I would like to travel to France” and we will send you the new story elements, a new list of the closest ten destinations and an update of your travel statistics. These travel statistics will show:
- Current Destination: country and capital you are currently visiting
- Next Level-up: number of countries you need to visit to level up
- Kilometer Balance: kilometers you have collected and that are available to travel
- Collected this Week: kilometers you have collected in one week, which will be key determinant of our weekly competitions
- Travelled in Total: kilometers you have already “invested” during your trips
- Visited Countries: number of countries you have visited
- Completed Challenges: number of challenges you have completed
- Free Flights: number of free flights
A “Free Flight” allows you to fly to other destinations without investing any of your kilometers. This feature can be earned and won in different ways, as a prize of our weekly competitions or as a reward for leveling up and completing some of our country challenges. Free Flights help you to avoid traveling terribly long distances.
For example: you have visited all countries in North and South America and now you would like to travel from Chile (Santiago) to the next closest destination, which would be Cape Verde (Praia) with a distance of 7,341 km. To not spend weeks of earning those kilometers, you can invest a Free Flight to fly there, and then the game will proceed from Cape Verde as before. These kilometers will neither be added to your kilometer balance, nor will they count as the kilometers you have collected this week. They will only be added on the number of kilometers you have travelled in total. Please note: you do NOT have to use a Free Flight to cross an ocean or a sea. You do not need to take into consideration whether you need to travel by land, water or air.
As mentioned above, your Map Jumper level depends on the number of countries you have visited. The more countries you visited, the higher your level will become, and the higher your level, the more rewards you can expect. In total, there are 197 countries to visit and 20 levels to master. Here is a detailed list which shows, how many countries you will need to visit to reach a new level:
Level 1 + 1 new country = Level 2
Level 2 + 2 new countries = Level 3
Level 3 + 3 new countries = Level 4
Level 4 + 4 new countries = Level 5
Level 5 + 5 new countries = Level 6
Level 6 + 6 new countries = Level 7
Level 7 + 7 new countries = Level 8
Level 8 + 8 new countries = Level 9
Level 9 + 9 new countries = Level 10
Level 10 + 10 new countries = Level 11
Level 11 + 11 new countries = Level 12
Level 12 + 12 new countries = Level 13
Level 13 + 13 new countries = Level 14
Level 14 + 14 new countries = Level 15
Level 15 + 15 new countries = Level 16
Level 16 + 17 new countries = Level 17
Level 17 + 19 new countries = Level 18
Level 18 + 20 new countries = Level 19
Level 19 + 20 new countries = Level 20
It’s pretty easy: you start as a Map Jumper of Level 1, you travel to one new country and become a Map Jumper of Level two. You travel to two new countries and level up to Level 3, then you visit three new countries…and so on, until level 16, that’s when we had to twist the numbers a little bit to make it work. Now it’s time to take a look on what you can get in return for being and virtually traveling with Map Jumper.
Rewards and weekly Prizes
Without revealing too much about the rewards you can expect when leveling up, we can already announce that you will become a Giving Getaway Ambassador once you reach Map Jumper Level 5, which will grant you a commission for every travel product of ours you successfully recommend – a commission that will increase in future with every level you climb up! In every level you will receive a challenge that comes along with attractive rewards after completion. Successful challenges you receive with Country Stories will always be rewarded with kilometers.
A great way to win benefit from Map Jumper is to win prizes in our “Map Jumpers of the Week” – competition. Once you sign up for Map Jumper, you will automatically be part of this competition. All you need to do is trying to earn as many kilometers as possible by completing our challenges and hoping that you will be in the top ten by the end of the week. The deadline will be at midnight (UTC – 08:00 (!) from Sunday to Monday (for example Monday 8am for Berlin, Monday 4am for New York City, Monday 11.30am for Mumbai). All ten Map Jumpers of the Week will be featured with our “Map Jumpers of the Week!”-template on Giving Getaway’s and Map Jumpers profile (first place = first picture; second place = second picture;…).
Besides, you can expect to win one of these prizes (please note that this is only a snapshot in time and that prizes will change depending on the number of players):
1st Place wins 30€ in cash: this money will be transferred to you either via PayPal or Transfer Wise once the results are certain. Please note that bank transfers are not possible due to high fees.
2nd Place wins a Travel Attendant spot for free: Every week, five to ten people will get the chance to become our weekly Travel Attendants and gain more followers, since one of our challenges includes to follow all Travel Attendants. These spots can only be won or must be purchased in advance (contact us on Instagram for details).
3rd and 4th Place win a Featured Post: We will feature one of your pictures with our “Map Jumper Lounge”-template on both Giving Getaway’s and Map Jumper’s Instagram pages.
5th and 6th Place win a Free Flight: As mentioned above, a Free Flight allows you to fly to other destinations without investing any of your kilometers. Click here to read more about Free Flights
7th and 8th Place win a Shoutout + 200 km: We will share one of your pictures with our “Map Jumper Lounge”-template in Giving Getaway’s and Map Jumper’s Instagram stories. On top, you will get 200 km, which will already count for the upcoming week.
9th and 10th Place win a Shoutout + 100 km: We will share one of your pictures with our “Map Jumper Lounge”-template in Giving Getaway’s and Map Jumper’s Instagram stories. On top, you will get 100 km, which will already count for the upcoming week.
Every day, you will find an overview of the current top ten in Map Jumper’s Instagram stories and every Monday, all Map Jumper’s of the Week will be presented in one featured posts on both of our Instagram pages. Shoutouts to the winners will publish during the upcoming week, while featured posts must be scheduled. In both cases you will need to provide us with anything you would like us to share or mention! You didn’t win anything or not what you had hoped to win? Then the might consider the following options.
Investing Kilometers in Promotions and more
Instead of investing kilometers to travel further, you can spend them to purchase promotions on Instagram, Free Flights and even our Information Packages or future eBooks. Here is what it takes:
- Shoutout: 300 km
- Featured Post: 600 km
- Free Flight: 800 km
- Travel Attendant: 1,000 km
- Holidaymaker Pkg.: 3,000 km
- Globetrotter Pkg.: 7,500 km
- Nomad Pkg: 15,000 km
- Vagabond Pkg: 5,000 – 10,000 km
Please note, that these kilometers will be subtracted from your balance and that they will not be added up to the Kilometers traveled in total. Also remember that promotions on our profiles aren’t a guarantee for followers and more engagement! We just provide the platform to share your content and it is on you to deliver high quality pictures and interesting captions to draw attention to your account.
Useful Tips and concluding Thoughts
Congratulations of you have manages to keep reading until here. It’s true, this is a lot to consider, but in fact it’s quite simple and the best way to get into it is to get started. Sign up and you will see that all you need to know will be communicated in the chat on Instagram. Questions can be asked whenever they come up and feedback and suggestions can be provided in our Feedback Section. Coming to an end, we now want to give you some useful tips and hints:
- Think twice about where to start your trip. Some places (North and South America, Australia, China) will confront you with relatively huge distances. If you would like to level up quickly at the beginning, other places might be the better choice.
- Turn on Map Jumper’s post and story notifications to not miss any updates. Everything you just read is still just the beginning, and new features, challenges and weekly events are already in the making.
- Have fun! Even if you won’t end up on first or second place, there are plenty of ways to benefit from Map Jumper. Collecting kilometers at a slow pace will still make you a Giving Getaway Ambassador at Level 5, or simply invest your kilometers and purchase the rewards you want.
And now it’s time to pick your starting destination, enjoy our stories, complete your first challenges, and make your first Jump!